Sunday, 21 December 2008
Depleted Uranium putting Our Soldiers at risk.
Depleted uranium is "The byproduct of [nuclear] enrichment...Military uses include defensive armor plating and armor-piercing projectiles." (Wikipedia, Depleted Uranium)
I've got to be honest, I had no idea as to the scale and timeframe of DU usage in combat. It apparently dates as far back as the late 1970s, when there was a need for high-density ordnance materials. There are possible alternatives, such as tungsten; however, DU is used because it is cheaper and a convenient solution to part of the nuclear waste storage problem.
I suppose it is the Agent Orange of our time.
I warn you, the video includes effects of DU that ain't pretty.
Ironic, don't you think, that the only uranium in Iraq was used by us? No WMDs...unless you are upholding Freedom and Democracy.
Use of DU is against every law and convention relating to warfare. The most imoprtant thing is the damage done to babies. According to the Wikipedia article, Gulf War Veterans are 50% more likely to give birth to/father a deformed child.
Right now, the use of DU is putting brave soldiers, and the health of their future children at stake, not to mention countless indigenous civilians, in Iraq and Afghanistan. They are exposed to a cancer-causing, gene-pool muddling toxin only in the name of governments' convenience.
There is an organisation called International Coalition to Ban Uranium Weapons. The name says it all, and I couldn't agree more.
- ► 2010 (647)
- ► 2009 (555)
- Who Is Prepared for Economic Disaster?
- A Thank-You to Hideo Kojima
- Wave Goodbye to Independent Currency
- Arab-Israeli Conflict: Round 352
- Keep The Internet Free
- No-One Follows The Bible Anyway
- Xbox Christmas Prank...Funny?
- A Verry Merry Chrristmas
- Central Banks, funding the Elite
- Who Will I Be Voting For in 2010? - Early Thoughts...
- Civilian Casualties and Taliban Recruitment in Afg...
- Depleted Uranium putting Our Soldiers at risk.
- 'The Truth', and yes, it is SCARY
- End the Clash of Civilisations!
- Funny and Dangerous RPG Accidents
- Bedtime story: Maria the potential Rape Victim and...
- Israel is an Apartheid State, haven't you heard?
- Paedophiles on the loose, and other British justic...
- So, Did the Surge really work?
- British and World: Right to Bear Arms Now!
- Libertarians: I love ya, but I don't agree
- Getting It Right, re: Canadian Coalition post
- CNN doesn't cover entirety of KBR story
- I thought PMC stories couldn't get any worse...
- America: Thank You for voting with your eyes open
- Canadian Coalition, and Why Do I Care?
- First Post, 'Why I Blog'
- ▼ Dec 2008 (27)
And You Tell Me There's No Suppressed Technology?
It's another of those 'conspiracy theories' that good citizens don't notice. Imagine the standard of living if all the secret technology was released to the public...we'd be "free and independent" as JFK said! No more poverty anywhere! Can you imagine being sick enough to withhold such technology from society just to maintain your position of control? (Bearing in mind that we don't know just how much technological capability is being withheld, because, duh, it's secret.) What did Nikola Tesla really develop?
Individual Liberty? But that's "selfish"!
No, we need to look after each other voluntarily without having a government do all that at gunpoint. Sounds absurd at first but soon you realise that the reason it sounds so is because of the very unfree nature of our current existence. Envision greater possibilities! Ok, some kind of massive wake-up would be needed before this kind of free, responsible, uncontrollable society could emerge. And that's what we are seeing day by day in the world - a massive waking up of the previously enslaved masses (including myself I must add!)