Wednesday, 10 November 2010
Civil Partnerships Not Enough for Homosexual Activists
Straight British couple seeks 'gay' partnership
LONDON — Tom Freeman and Katherine Doyle are in love and want to tie the knot -- but they don't want to get married.
The 26-year-old Londoners think they should be allowed to have a civil partnership, a form of legal union available in Britain only to same-sex couples.
On Tuesday, after having their application to form a civil partnership rejected by officials at their local town hall in Islington, north London, they said they will go to court to win the right. They are being backed by gay rights activists, who hope a ruling that allows straight couples the right to a civil partnership would mean, in turn, that gay couples have the right to wed.
"The titles of husband and wife and all the things that pop into people's heads when you say you're getting married don't appeal to us," said Doyle, a student. "In our day-to-day life we feel like civil partners -- we don't feel like husband and wife, and we want the government to recognize that."
Marriage and civil partnership are virtually identical in law, and activists argue both should be open to all couples.
"We think it's time there was one law for everyone," said activist Peter Tatchell, who is organizing the "Equal Love" campaign and has lined up eight couples -- four gay, four straight -- willing to take their cases to court.
"Denying heterosexual couples the right to have a civil partnership is heterophobic," he said.
Some legal experts think there is a strong case, because discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation infringes Britain's human rights law.
"How can the government justify this, when the legal rights attached to each legal institution are identical?" said law professor Robert Wintemute, who is advising the campaign. "For most purposes, the two institutions are identical -- except for the name."
Britain introduced civil partnerships in 2005, giving gay couples the same legal protection, adoption and inheritance rights as heterosexual married partners -- but not the label of marriage.
The Netherlands, Canada, Belgium, Portugal and Spain have legalized same-sex marriage, while Germany, France, Austria and Switzerland have laws similar to Britain's.
The British compromise was welcomed by many. Thousands of couples have tied the civil partnership knot since then, in venues ranging from city halls to the Houses of Parliament.
But for some, the distinction still rankles.
"We really appreciate the civil partnerships," said Sharon Ferguson, a pastor in the Metropolitan Community Church who hopes to wed partner Franka Strietzel but has been turned down for a marriage license. "But particularly because of my Christian faith, it's marriage that I want."
- Links 30/Nov/10
- Ireland: The Revolt Has Started
- The Love Police: Adventures in Security at Cambrid...
- Alleged 'Scientists' Call For Rationing at Cancun ...
- MI6 promise more toner cartridge bombs?
- "Spanish" Woman Claims She Owns the Sun, Wants to ...
- Links 28/Nov/10
- Innosense Betrayed
- Good News - EU Bans BPA
- While We Bitch About Precipitation...
- "99% of you say...get Britain out of EU"
- Snow In Your Shoes
- Judge Napolitano: "It's time to change our governm...
- Once Upon A Time...
- GM Crop Sabotage On The Rise
- Daily Express Says Get Britain Out Of EU
- UK Media Pushes Royal Worship, Distorts Kate Middl...
- Nigel Farage - The Euro Game Is Up! Who do you thi...
- US and Britain in Partnership to Standardise Domin...
- Links 25/Nov/10
- European Food Safety Authority: A Playing Field fo...
- Eric Cantona: Kill The Banks!
- Who Is Ireland Really Bailing Out?
- Swiss SVP poster campaign
- Links 21/Nov/10
- Alex Jones: The Coming Border Wars
- Ron Paul to TSA - Enough is Enough
- Lordship Says Let Them Eat Cake
- Canadians Vote Out Fluoride!
- French Police Investigating A Rape, Chased From Mu...
- Source (PDF)
- Links 18/Nov/10
- The AAA Warmongers and Military Pimps
- Ireland held at financial gunpoint
- Jesse Ventura takes on the FEMA CAMPS
- George Soros the Anti-Christ?
- Airport Groping and Travel Restrictions
- I thought white people were inbred...
- George W accused of plaigiarism in memoirs
- Fox News' Geraldo Rivera open minded on Building 7...
- EU Jesuit Herman von Rompuy says nation states are...
- Obama and Medvedev: Masonic Handshake?
- Links 12/Nov/10
- When Is A Missile Not A Missile?
- A Third Of Britain Still Belongs To The Aristocrac...
- TSA Forces Mother In Wheelchair To Tears With "Enh...
- TSA Cuffs Radio Host To Chair
- Civil Partnerships Not Enough for Homosexual Activ...
- Holocaust Survivor Scam: $42.5 Million Stolen
- Germans Lead The Way - Massive Nuclear Protest
- You Have a Right to be somewhat "-phobic" (Xeno-, ...
- Fluoride Poisoned Horses
- Heads Up British Readers - UK Fluoridated Areas
- Links 9/Nov/10
- Work Harder, ChiComm Slaves! - Says The Crown
- Love/Hate Mail and the Left Right Paradigm
- Sometimes I Feel We Honour The Wrong People
- Links 7/Nov/10
- Airport Security is a Sex Offender's Paradise
- Lord James and his mysterious "Foundation X"
- Noam Chomsky questions 9/11. About time.
- Time's Object Of The Year 2010...lol
- Obama in India, Terror Window, and a 12x12ft Tunne...
- Links 4/Nov/10
- English Supremacism
- Chemtrails: What In The World Are They Spraying?
- Child violence against parents on rise
- The Jewish Nazi Ties
- Debt Collectors Using Fake Courtrooms, Judges
- 58 Iraqi Christians Killed by Militants - Syntheti...
- "Internet Killed Israeli PR" - LOL!
- Brave 'We Are Change' Confront Jon Stewart's Laugh...
- Cameron U-Turns on Promise of Lisbon Treaty Refere...
- Chemtrails Today
- ▼ Nov 2010 (74)
- ► 2009 (555)
And You Tell Me There's No Suppressed Technology?
It's another of those 'conspiracy theories' that good citizens don't notice. Imagine the standard of living if all the secret technology was released to the public...we'd be "free and independent" as JFK said! No more poverty anywhere! Can you imagine being sick enough to withhold such technology from society just to maintain your position of control? (Bearing in mind that we don't know just how much technological capability is being withheld, because, duh, it's secret.) What did Nikola Tesla really develop?
Individual Liberty? But that's "selfish"!
No, we need to look after each other voluntarily without having a government do all that at gunpoint. Sounds absurd at first but soon you realise that the reason it sounds so is because of the very unfree nature of our current existence. Envision greater possibilities! Ok, some kind of massive wake-up would be needed before this kind of free, responsible, uncontrollable society could emerge. And that's what we are seeing day by day in the world - a massive waking up of the previously enslaved masses (including myself I must add!)