Sunday, 7 November 2010
Sometimes I Feel We Honour The Wrong People
Forget spoilt brat sport stars or singers, royals and knights, Monarchs or Monarch programmed celebtitties. They don't matter.
What's the secret of Britain's longest-married couple? Their answer (78 years and still blissful) will intrigue and enchant you
Like many married couples, Harold and Dorie Coupland can get a bit exasperated with each other from time to time.
‘I could sometimes throttle him,’ Dorie cheerfully says, casting a sideways glance at her husband, who is fast asleep in his armchair and emitting an occasional snore.
It’s a sentiment not unfamiliar to people with at least a few years of marriage under their belt — but then Harold and Dorie have more than most. Both 97, they celebrated their 78th wedding anniversary yesterday.
That’s but a brief bridal march away from eight decades — an anniversary they will commemorate in 2012, when London will be hosting the Olympics. Rather fitting, given their gold-medal winning domestic effort which, as far as they know, makes them the longest-married couple in Britain.
Harold and Dorie contacted the Mail after seeing the story earlier this year about Ralph and Phyllis Tarrant — whose 77-year union (they married on July 8, 1933) was at the time believed to make them the marital record holders.
But as Dorie proudly points out, ‘Our wedding was in 1932’, meaning that they are the couple who merit the place in the record books.
Their long and by all accounts incredibly happy partnership has survived a world war and produced two children, five grandchildren and six great-grandchildren, with one great-great-grandchild bringing up the rear.
Says Dorie: 'Folk don't put up with things these days. The least little problem and they're up and off, aren't they'?
- Links 30/Nov/10
- Ireland: The Revolt Has Started
- The Love Police: Adventures in Security at Cambrid...
- Alleged 'Scientists' Call For Rationing at Cancun ...
- MI6 promise more toner cartridge bombs?
- "Spanish" Woman Claims She Owns the Sun, Wants to ...
- Links 28/Nov/10
- Innosense Betrayed
- Good News - EU Bans BPA
- While We Bitch About Precipitation...
- "99% of you say...get Britain out of EU"
- Snow In Your Shoes
- Judge Napolitano: "It's time to change our governm...
- Once Upon A Time...
- GM Crop Sabotage On The Rise
- Daily Express Says Get Britain Out Of EU
- UK Media Pushes Royal Worship, Distorts Kate Middl...
- Nigel Farage - The Euro Game Is Up! Who do you thi...
- US and Britain in Partnership to Standardise Domin...
- Links 25/Nov/10
- European Food Safety Authority: A Playing Field fo...
- Eric Cantona: Kill The Banks!
- Who Is Ireland Really Bailing Out?
- Swiss SVP poster campaign
- Links 21/Nov/10
- Alex Jones: The Coming Border Wars
- Ron Paul to TSA - Enough is Enough
- Lordship Says Let Them Eat Cake
- Canadians Vote Out Fluoride!
- French Police Investigating A Rape, Chased From Mu...
- Source (PDF)
- Links 18/Nov/10
- The AAA Warmongers and Military Pimps
- Ireland held at financial gunpoint
- Jesse Ventura takes on the FEMA CAMPS
- George Soros the Anti-Christ?
- Airport Groping and Travel Restrictions
- I thought white people were inbred...
- George W accused of plaigiarism in memoirs
- Fox News' Geraldo Rivera open minded on Building 7...
- EU Jesuit Herman von Rompuy says nation states are...
- Obama and Medvedev: Masonic Handshake?
- Links 12/Nov/10
- When Is A Missile Not A Missile?
- A Third Of Britain Still Belongs To The Aristocrac...
- TSA Forces Mother In Wheelchair To Tears With "Enh...
- TSA Cuffs Radio Host To Chair
- Civil Partnerships Not Enough for Homosexual Activ...
- Holocaust Survivor Scam: $42.5 Million Stolen
- Germans Lead The Way - Massive Nuclear Protest
- You Have a Right to be somewhat "-phobic" (Xeno-, ...
- Fluoride Poisoned Horses
- Heads Up British Readers - UK Fluoridated Areas
- Links 9/Nov/10
- Work Harder, ChiComm Slaves! - Says The Crown
- Love/Hate Mail and the Left Right Paradigm
- Sometimes I Feel We Honour The Wrong People
- Links 7/Nov/10
- Airport Security is a Sex Offender's Paradise
- Lord James and his mysterious "Foundation X"
- Noam Chomsky questions 9/11. About time.
- Time's Object Of The Year 2010...lol
- Obama in India, Terror Window, and a 12x12ft Tunne...
- Links 4/Nov/10
- English Supremacism
- Chemtrails: What In The World Are They Spraying?
- Child violence against parents on rise
- The Jewish Nazi Ties
- Debt Collectors Using Fake Courtrooms, Judges
- 58 Iraqi Christians Killed by Militants - Syntheti...
- "Internet Killed Israeli PR" - LOL!
- Brave 'We Are Change' Confront Jon Stewart's Laugh...
- Cameron U-Turns on Promise of Lisbon Treaty Refere...
- Chemtrails Today
- ▼ Nov 2010 (74)
- ► 2009 (555)
And You Tell Me There's No Suppressed Technology?
It's another of those 'conspiracy theories' that good citizens don't notice. Imagine the standard of living if all the secret technology was released to the public...we'd be "free and independent" as JFK said! No more poverty anywhere! Can you imagine being sick enough to withhold such technology from society just to maintain your position of control? (Bearing in mind that we don't know just how much technological capability is being withheld, because, duh, it's secret.) What did Nikola Tesla really develop?
Individual Liberty? But that's "selfish"!
No, we need to look after each other voluntarily without having a government do all that at gunpoint. Sounds absurd at first but soon you realise that the reason it sounds so is because of the very unfree nature of our current existence. Envision greater possibilities! Ok, some kind of massive wake-up would be needed before this kind of free, responsible, uncontrollable society could emerge. And that's what we are seeing day by day in the world - a massive waking up of the previously enslaved masses (including myself I must add!)