Monday, 8 November 2010
Work Harder, ChiComm Slaves! - Says The Crown
The China powder keg: JOHN HUMPHRYS on a nation that's either on the edge of becoming THE superpower - or exploding into anarchy
The chanting, when it began, sounded angry. I was in my hotel room in Beijing trying to put together a report on political repression for the Today programme and this sounded as if it might be just what I needed.
I had been in China for more than a week. Everywhere I went people had been telling me that things had changed so much since I first started reporting from here more than 30 years ago that I would scarcely recognise the place.
True, there are many protests, sometimes violent, but almost always out in the provinces and motivated by a single grievance.
Yet here we were in the heart of the capital, a short stroll from Tiananmen Square, and something was going on. I grabbed my producer and, as the shouting grew louder, we ran outside — to be confronted by a tug-of-war.
The kitchen staff had challenged the hotel management to a contest and there they were in the middle of the street, heaving away on a thick rope, the chefs’ hats falling into the gutter, the managers’ ties askew, all of them shouting fit to burst. The managers won.
Not quite the scene I had imagined, but what’s interesting is that it is possible for a foreign journalist to wander the streets of this city, microphone at the ready, and nobody will take a blind bit of notice.
When I first started reporting from here, that would have been unimaginable.
We needed permits in triplicate to go anywhere and we were always accompanied by minders. Today it’s even possible — with a little effort — to talk to dissidents.
So here’s the first contradiction of modern China.
The Communist leadership of this country has an absolute monopoly on power, but foreign journalists have never been so free to ply their trade.
What’s even more remarkable is that so many people in senior Communist Party positions are now happy to admit openly that it’s a mistake to prevent Chinese people speaking freely to each other.
Not that they can say anything they choose.
The dangers are obvious. The leadership is about to publish a new five-year plan which will promise to raise the wages of those who are paid pathetically little. Given the pressures they are under, they have no choice.
But it is those low wages that keep the price of their goods low enough for the rich West buy in such huge quantities.
If exports begin to dry up, the jobs may disappear and what happens to the migrant workers then? Social unrest is a real danger.
And if wages rise and the effect is to create a much more educated, questioning population, there is another danger. The new middle class may well demand political reform that goes a long way beyond what the leadership is prepared to countenance.
The Communist Party is gambling that it can restore and maintain China’s greatness without ripping the country apart again.
There is no guarantee that it will succeed. In this new globalised, inter-dependent world what happens to the world’s biggest country matters to every single one of us.
If they lose their gamble none of us will escape the consequences.
How about that for a thinly veiled threat? Who runs the world? Is it the US or the Crown? Here is a clear answer. Slave drivers of the AAA still at it, just a little more subtly than before. What a heartless article, telling China how it should keep its Communist police state, to control the uppity Chinese slaves. I don't like anyone who thinks it is their business telling the world what to do, especially in such an underhanded way as this.
Related - The High Street fashions made by 'slaves in British sweatshops'
The truth about illegal immigration is, they don't really 'steal' jobs, rather illegal immigration allows big business to undermine the local labourers. I am a supporter of organised labour (except when it's government employees organising, which is a whole different thing). With constant illegal immigration, there can be no organised labour to counterbalance the power of the fat cats.
- Links 30/Nov/10
- Ireland: The Revolt Has Started
- The Love Police: Adventures in Security at Cambrid...
- Alleged 'Scientists' Call For Rationing at Cancun ...
- MI6 promise more toner cartridge bombs?
- "Spanish" Woman Claims She Owns the Sun, Wants to ...
- Links 28/Nov/10
- Innosense Betrayed
- Good News - EU Bans BPA
- While We Bitch About Precipitation...
- "99% of you say...get Britain out of EU"
- Snow In Your Shoes
- Judge Napolitano: "It's time to change our governm...
- Once Upon A Time...
- GM Crop Sabotage On The Rise
- Daily Express Says Get Britain Out Of EU
- UK Media Pushes Royal Worship, Distorts Kate Middl...
- Nigel Farage - The Euro Game Is Up! Who do you thi...
- US and Britain in Partnership to Standardise Domin...
- Links 25/Nov/10
- European Food Safety Authority: A Playing Field fo...
- Eric Cantona: Kill The Banks!
- Who Is Ireland Really Bailing Out?
- Swiss SVP poster campaign
- Links 21/Nov/10
- Alex Jones: The Coming Border Wars
- Ron Paul to TSA - Enough is Enough
- Lordship Says Let Them Eat Cake
- Canadians Vote Out Fluoride!
- French Police Investigating A Rape, Chased From Mu...
- Source (PDF)
- Links 18/Nov/10
- The AAA Warmongers and Military Pimps
- Ireland held at financial gunpoint
- Jesse Ventura takes on the FEMA CAMPS
- George Soros the Anti-Christ?
- Airport Groping and Travel Restrictions
- I thought white people were inbred...
- George W accused of plaigiarism in memoirs
- Fox News' Geraldo Rivera open minded on Building 7...
- EU Jesuit Herman von Rompuy says nation states are...
- Obama and Medvedev: Masonic Handshake?
- Links 12/Nov/10
- When Is A Missile Not A Missile?
- A Third Of Britain Still Belongs To The Aristocrac...
- TSA Forces Mother In Wheelchair To Tears With "Enh...
- TSA Cuffs Radio Host To Chair
- Civil Partnerships Not Enough for Homosexual Activ...
- Holocaust Survivor Scam: $42.5 Million Stolen
- Germans Lead The Way - Massive Nuclear Protest
- You Have a Right to be somewhat "-phobic" (Xeno-, ...
- Fluoride Poisoned Horses
- Heads Up British Readers - UK Fluoridated Areas
- Links 9/Nov/10
- Work Harder, ChiComm Slaves! - Says The Crown
- Love/Hate Mail and the Left Right Paradigm
- Sometimes I Feel We Honour The Wrong People
- Links 7/Nov/10
- Airport Security is a Sex Offender's Paradise
- Lord James and his mysterious "Foundation X"
- Noam Chomsky questions 9/11. About time.
- Time's Object Of The Year 2010...lol
- Obama in India, Terror Window, and a 12x12ft Tunne...
- Links 4/Nov/10
- English Supremacism
- Chemtrails: What In The World Are They Spraying?
- Child violence against parents on rise
- The Jewish Nazi Ties
- Debt Collectors Using Fake Courtrooms, Judges
- 58 Iraqi Christians Killed by Militants - Syntheti...
- "Internet Killed Israeli PR" - LOL!
- Brave 'We Are Change' Confront Jon Stewart's Laugh...
- Cameron U-Turns on Promise of Lisbon Treaty Refere...
- Chemtrails Today
- ▼ Nov 2010 (74)
- ► 2009 (555)
And You Tell Me There's No Suppressed Technology?
It's another of those 'conspiracy theories' that good citizens don't notice. Imagine the standard of living if all the secret technology was released to the public...we'd be "free and independent" as JFK said! No more poverty anywhere! Can you imagine being sick enough to withhold such technology from society just to maintain your position of control? (Bearing in mind that we don't know just how much technological capability is being withheld, because, duh, it's secret.) What did Nikola Tesla really develop?
Individual Liberty? But that's "selfish"!
No, we need to look after each other voluntarily without having a government do all that at gunpoint. Sounds absurd at first but soon you realise that the reason it sounds so is because of the very unfree nature of our current existence. Envision greater possibilities! Ok, some kind of massive wake-up would be needed before this kind of free, responsible, uncontrollable society could emerge. And that's what we are seeing day by day in the world - a massive waking up of the previously enslaved masses (including myself I must add!)