Thursday, 2 December 2010
US Judge Rules GM Sugar Beet Be Destroyed
Monsanto GMO sugarbeets to be destroyed: court
(Reuters) - A federal judge on Tuesday ordered the destruction of plantings of genetically modified sugar beets developed by Monsanto Co after ruling previously the U.S. Agriculture Department illegally approved the biotech crop.
U.S. District Court Judge Jeffrey White in August banned the planting and sales of Monsanto's "Roundup Ready" biotech sugar beets after determining that their approval in 2005 by the USDA was illegal. He said the government must conduct a thorough environmental review before approving the crop to comply with the law.
But shortly after the ruling, the USDA issued permits allowing companies to plant seedlings to produce seed for future GMO sugar beet crops.
In his ruling Tuesday Judge White said those seedlings "shall be removed from the ground."
Earthjustice, a consumer group that brought the case against the USDA and had asked the judge to order the young plants be destroyed, said the action was the first court-ordered destruction of a GMO crop.
"We had to run into court and ask the judge to stop them," said Earthjustice attorney Paul Achitoff. "He said you've got to tear up the plants, which was what we asked him to do. It's an extreme sort of a thing ... but the circumstances were such that there really wasn't any alternative. They basically had dared the court to stop them."
Sugar beets account for more than half of the nation's sugar supply, and Monsanto's Roundup Ready beets have been popular with farmers as they have been genetically altered to withstand sprayings of the chemical herbicide Roundup, making weed management easier for producers.
But environmentalists say widespread use of the crop leads to increased use of herbicides, proliferation of herbicide resistant weeds, and contamination of conventional and organic crops.
Monsanto, which owns intellectual property rights to the sugar beet technology, sought to intervene in the case, and was granted limited standing. But the company had no immediate comment on Tuesday.
- UK Serfs Work 149 Days Per Year Just For The Gover...
- Hungary: Rothschild/Soros Frontman Introduces Pres...
- Homegrown Revolution - inspiring video
- EDL Compensation Fraud - 78 Claim Damages After 57...
- RAF Veteran Gets Enriched - Shouldn't Have Been We...
- ADL To Attack Journalists and Publications Tying I...
- Assange part of an Aussie Kosher-Nazi cult?
- Nickelodeon’s Illuminati-Themed Show “House of Anu...
- Most patients are Conspiracy Theorists - believe t...
- More Evidence Gender is Biological
- The Plain Truth of the Federal Reserve...on Fox Bu...
- Debt Free Money and Full Reserve Banking in the UK...
- Christmas Blessing
- Christmas En-Corr
- Christmas Pax
- Links 22/Dec/10 - The Scrooges Who Rule
- Links 21/Dec/10
- White Al-Qaeda?
- "Hero's Helmet Saves Girl's Life"
- START Treaty is Really the United Nations Global M...
- Jim Corr on RT: "Top down economic collapse, Robin...
- Links 16/Dec/10
- Unfortunately, He's Right
- Wiki Leak Leek Spin is Milintel Spin?
- The Criminal, Cowardly, Crown Loyalist BBC - Defen...
- Links 14/Dec/10
- Richard Holbrooke's Last Words, Repentant
- Rosalind Peterson: the Chemtrail Cover-up
- The Unfortunate Son of Bernie Madoff...Suicide or ...
- The Death of Free Will
- I think I see something suspicious...and tyrannica...
- S. Africa Becoming A "Failed State"
- Iceland Under Attack? HAARP Activity Corresponds t...
- Keiser Report #101
- SAS Hit Squads At UK's Malls
- Some stuff I almost missed (but now didn't)
- This has been a message from the Centre for Commun...
- JFK Secret Society Speech (full)
- US Judge Rules GM Sugar Beet Be Destroyed
- Google censors Prisonplanet, presumably to gauge r...
- It Just Keeps Snowing
- The Madness of a Lost Society
- EU: RIP? - says Pat Buchanan
- Pilot of UKIP leader Nigel Farage crash plane is c...
- ▼ Dec 2010 (46)
- ► 2009 (555)
And You Tell Me There's No Suppressed Technology?
It's another of those 'conspiracy theories' that good citizens don't notice. Imagine the standard of living if all the secret technology was released to the public...we'd be "free and independent" as JFK said! No more poverty anywhere! Can you imagine being sick enough to withhold such technology from society just to maintain your position of control? (Bearing in mind that we don't know just how much technological capability is being withheld, because, duh, it's secret.) What did Nikola Tesla really develop?
Individual Liberty? But that's "selfish"!
No, we need to look after each other voluntarily without having a government do all that at gunpoint. Sounds absurd at first but soon you realise that the reason it sounds so is because of the very unfree nature of our current existence. Envision greater possibilities! Ok, some kind of massive wake-up would be needed before this kind of free, responsible, uncontrollable society could emerge. And that's what we are seeing day by day in the world - a massive waking up of the previously enslaved masses (including myself I must add!)