Wednesday, 14 April 2010
Source of Bible Covenant with God discovered?
by D.M. Murdock
Archaeologists working in Turkey have unearthed an Assyrian tablet dating to around 670 BCE that "could have served as a model for the biblical description of God's covenant with the Israelites." What this fascinating discovery suggests, of course, is that the Bible tale of a divine pact does not represent "history" or a "factual" event, but is instead a fictional rewrite, borrowing or plagiarism of this older Assyrian treaty.
Over the centuries, many Bible critics, minimalists and mythicists have asserted that much of the Old Testament constitutes not factual history but a rehash of ancient myths and traditions dating to before the founding of the Jewish kingdom. This new find apparently adds more evidence to that theory, and it is quite refreshing that both the scholars and the media are spelling out clearly this possible "borrowing," without prejudice in favor of bibliolatry or upholding unprovable matters of faith.
Ancient treaty resembles part of the Bible
Canadian archeologists in Turkey have unearthed an ancient treaty that could have served as a model for the biblical description of God's covenant with the Israelites.
The tablet, dating to about 670 BC, is a treaty between the powerful Assyrian king and his weaker vassal states, written in a highly formulaic language very similar in form and style to the story of Abraham's covenant with God in the Hebrew Bible, says University of Toronto archeologist Timothy Harrison.
Although biblical scholarship differs, it is widely accepted that the Hebrew Bible was being assembled around the same time as this treaty, the seventh century BC.
"Those documents...seem to reflect very closely the formulaic structure of these treaty documents," he told about 50 guests at the Ottawa residence of the Turkish ambassador, Rafet Akgunay.
He was not necessarily saying the Hebrews copied the Assyrian text, substituting their own story about how God liberated them from slavery in Egypt on the condition that they worship only Him and follow His commandments.
But it will be interesting for scholars to have this parallel document.
"The language in the [Assyrian] texts is [very similar] and now we have a treaty document just a few miles up the road from Jerusalem."...
Notable is the fact "it is widely accepted that the Hebrew Bible was being assembled around the same time as this treaty," i.e., during the 7th century BCE. The case for this "late" dating of the Old Testament's compilation - with a significant part of it also written later, after the Jews' "Babylonian Exile" (597-538 BCE) - has been made by Israeli archaeologists, including and especially Israel Finkelstein in The Bible Unearthed.
Although the article states that the archaeologist Timothy Harrison "was not necessarily saying the Hebrews copied the Assyrian text, substituting their own story about how God liberated them from slavery in Egypt," it is nonetheless raising that very issue in a manner which breaks with the centuries-old tradition of bending all finds in the "Holy Land" and other places of biblical interest to fit the Bible, in attempts to prove the "Good Book" as "history." It is obvious that this sort of bibliolatry appeasement from the more scientific segment of society is losing ground precisely because of such discoveries - and the implication of this one is a doozy.
No historical covenant with God?
It needs to be emphasized that this intriguing development concerns not just any biblical event but the very covenant between God and the Israelites - here indicated as not something supernatural that actually occurred but, rather, as mere human propaganda based on older texts from other cultures. This discovery, therefore, would essentially negate the basic premise of the Old Testament: To wit, that the Hebrews, Israelites and Jews are the "chosen people" of the Lord of the universe.
Needless to say, for those of us who have been stating as much for many years - and getting pilloried for our efforts - this archaeological find is very exciting, as it adds to the growing body of hard, scientific evidence that the Bible is not "God's Word" but a manmade cultural artifact designed for propagandistic purposes.
Furthermore, as the Old Testament is thus apparently in significant part a rehash and rewriting of the traditions and myths of other cultures, so does the New Testament story of Jesus Christ represent a remake of the mythical motifs of pre-Christian cultures, combined with OT scriptures serving as "blueprints" for the gospel tale's creation.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions!
by Jake Jones
Atheists don't believe and agnostics are not sure. However, they feel the need to tell Christians just how wrong they are about the Bible, creation, prophecy and everything else about Christianity. In reality, atheists just don't get it, they haven't figured out that if they allow Jesus into their heart, they will see more clearly.
Are they dense? No! Just unwilling to look at reality, the truth and fact of archaeological digs in the middle east and history itself. They consistently tell Christians that they are wrong! They simply must always be right! Atheists can’t see the forest for the trees. Atheists simply don't want anyone or anything telling them how to live their lives with the exception of government. For some strange reason they are more than willing to toe the mark for government. Uncanny!
Most believe that the atheists are good intentioned people who are kind, generous and have the best of intentions for their work in trying to disprove Christianity. The problem with that is that "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions".
Christians believe the Bible to be the perfect, divinely inspired word of God himself. For some reason, atheists just can't get their head around that idea. Oh my, they say, a book that was written 2,000 years ago just can't be accurate; while science has proven a substantial number of Biblical incidents, locations, buildings, wars, famine and more. Check out the accuracy of the Bible here.
Using scientific theory to disprove the Bible is like using gasoline to put out a fire. The reverse of that would be using the Bible to prove the existence of UFO’s, it can’t be done! By using scientific theory to disprove the Bible and Christianity, atheists only create more questions for themselves, but atheists would never admit that.
There are many things that science, scientists and yes, even NASA have discovered which have helped mankind, but Atheists seem to have a mental block about the reality of the real truth about who is/was responsible for even their own individual existence. However, they are more than willing to put their trust in some guy named ‘Charlie’ Darwin who wrote a book titled “On the Origin of Species” or what is commonly knows as the Theory of Evolution 150 years ago this year. But, good old' Charlie was rather lame in his execution of his investigation.
The Bible is filled with witnesses to the events described in it. Additionally, it is filled with witnesses to prophecy; both to prophecy as it was being fulfilled, as well as witnessing the Prophet giving the message, but Atheists are not willing to believe, it’s just a fairy tail to them.
The understanding of true Christianity is something that Atheists will never grasp until that proverbial light comes on. Prayerfully, that proverbial light comes on in time!
Note to all atheists: The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
A while ago I read something a Christian actually wrote, saying that 'just being a good person is not enough!' [to be saved]. Really sums it up for me. The road to Hell, in this world or otherwise, is indeed paved with good intentions. And whose 'good intentions' have helped to pave the road to Hell, historically?
(Just for the LMAO factor...)
- So You Want To Do Something About The National Deb...
- US Military train to take on the Tea Party?
- Best Convert To Every Religion Just In Case
- What Would Happen if They Declared an Election and...
- Counterthink - Business Is Booming
- They Live - the moment of revelation
- David Icke on Journeys With Rebecca: The Moon Matr...
- The Holy Roman British Empire Never Ended
- Drone Attacks: Very Precise...
- Bob Shepherd Sees The Real Israel
- FKN Newz - F*** Earth Day
- Who's Behind Recent Psychological Attacks In Schoo...
- Bill Maher becomes a "Teabagger"
- Are you testing me, Satan?
- Pay back your bailout money with more bailout mone...
- Icelandic Ash Cloud: No-Problem, Reaction, Solutio...
- Microcosm of the Health/Safety Macrocosm
- Bombshell: Silverstein Wanted to Demolish WTC7 on ...
- The Love Police: Security vs Police
- Khe Sanh, Afghanistan: Americans Withdraw
- Crimes of the State: Waco, Oklahoma City Bombing
- More ADL Nonsense: "Violent Voices" Oppose Obamaca...
- Here's What We're Going To Do
- Huge Marijuana Smoke Cloud Over Denver
- Egyptian Religion: Precursor to Judeo-Christianity...
- Al-Qaeda Chief in Iraq: Captured, Killed, Never Ac...
- The Bosnian Pyramids
- Are you Normal? What is Normal?
- War...Has Changed
- Stephen Colbert Mentions Bilderberg Group on Air
- Digital Economy Act: This Means War
- Crucified Gods in History
- Who were the Israelites of the Bible?
- iPad Tortured To Death!
- Videogames, Metaphysics and Life
- Education System: Left Brain Prisoners
- Israel Arrests Christians and Jesus' Donkey on Pal...
- US Army 'Enhanced Interrogates' Their Own!
- I Fell Into A Burning Lake of Fire
- Atlantis: Real or Imagined?
- Gunshots Heard in Aftermath of Polish Plane Crash
- What I'm Watching: "The Irish Origins of Civilisat...
- Veteran of "Collateral Murder" company speaks out
- Good Intentions
- Alexander McQueen: Reptillians on the Runway
- Croatian Teenager Wakes Up From Coma Speaking Flue...
- All You Need to Know About Naked Body Scanners
- Grr. What's going on with my blog comments?
- David Icke: Who Controls the Web? The Spider
- Snakes On Your Plane
- Richard Dawkins Will Attempt to Arrest the Pope
- When did 'anti-government' become a bad thing?
- Joseph sounds a bit like Jesus to me...
- Big Brother
- Did the Weatherman Just Say...Military Craft Dropp...
- Chemtrails Today (European Parliament Questioned o...
- Support the Troops While Government Exploits Them
- Anarchy...But Who Will Build Roads?
- Some people are just 'awake' anyway?
- Your Eyes Emit Energy?
- Anti-War signs behind ITN reporter
- On the subject of "Sheeple"
- Oh Yippee! Get Election Fever
- Everyone's A Shill
- Quick Links Variety Show 5/Apr/10
- Unexplained Sheep Attacks Caused By UFOs?
- Haha - Chris Kemara caught out live, misses sendin...
- Can Neoconservatives Admit the Real History of Ira...
- The Hollie Greig Case
- Patients Draw Near Death Experiences
- The Battle for Newcastle
- The Town of Allopath - Cartoon
- Easter: Our Babylonian-Judaic Fertility Celebratio...
- Quick Links Variety Show 3/Apr/10
- Everything is OK in Cambridge
- "Anarchists" are often POLICE Provocateurs
- ▼ Apr 2010 (79)
- ► 2009 (555)
And You Tell Me There's No Suppressed Technology?
It's another of those 'conspiracy theories' that good citizens don't notice. Imagine the standard of living if all the secret technology was released to the public...we'd be "free and independent" as JFK said! No more poverty anywhere! Can you imagine being sick enough to withhold such technology from society just to maintain your position of control? (Bearing in mind that we don't know just how much technological capability is being withheld, because, duh, it's secret.) What did Nikola Tesla really develop?
Individual Liberty? But that's "selfish"!
No, we need to look after each other voluntarily without having a government do all that at gunpoint. Sounds absurd at first but soon you realise that the reason it sounds so is because of the very unfree nature of our current existence. Envision greater possibilities! Ok, some kind of massive wake-up would be needed before this kind of free, responsible, uncontrollable society could emerge. And that's what we are seeing day by day in the world - a massive waking up of the previously enslaved masses (including myself I must add!)