Friday, 16 April 2010
Videogames, Metaphysics and Life
See, life is indeed a lot like a videogame. We temporarily suspend our previous state of existence to enter a world, where we assume an avatar in order to experience that virtual world, to participate in it and perhaps to learn from it.
In theory, anything could happen in that world, although in practice limitations have been put in place by the designer of the videogame; laws, rules, things like 'game physics', all of which are arbitrary conditions dependent on the will of the designer. Really, although these are in one sense limiting, they are also essential - for without limits there can be no challenges and thus no acheivement.
But things can go wrong when playing videogames. I can attest to the fact that it is possible to literally go into a trance-like state and actually not hear things going on around you; this kind of thing has occasionally happened to me while playing that reptillian-brain-fest also known as Call of Duty online mode. Literally, people talk to you and it takes you a while to snap out enough to listen to them so that you can never tell what they-damn don't they understand that stoned American kid is shooting at me? Shut up!
And this recollection brings me, inevitably, to Bill Hicks. See, as he almost said, we can play a videogame, and it's got bright lights and it goes round and round, and some of us who've been playing for a long time, we start to think the game is real, and then some people who've remembered come back and tell us, "hey, it's just a game." And we - kill those people. (Or just yell at them!)
But I am done with videogames. I figured shooting in effigy thousands of people wasn't doing much for my soul or my psyche.
Alas, perhaps we have become transfixed on the game of life, and in starting to think it is 'real', that our material possessions are real and so on, we have lost sight of any sense of purpose here. Oh, it's a bloody important game - we do not know for sure that you can respawn once it is over - but a game it is nonetheless.
And that's where we are asking only half of the question. Everyone, rightly, wants to know what happens when we die. Nobody wants to stop existing...which implies that we intuitively know there is a purpose to our existence, despite constantly pleading to know 'why we are here'. But is it not an equally legitimate question, perhaps central to understanding the answer to the other one, that we ask what we were before birth?
Western religion does not discuss this at all, but I reckon if we believe we may exist beyond death, I say it's equally legitimate - perhaps essential - to consider that we may have existed before birth. If so, did we choose to come here? Would you, really? And if so, what are you here to accomplish? I rather naively hope we get some answers about all this when the game is over. For now though, enjoy the bright lights!
- So You Want To Do Something About The National Deb...
- US Military train to take on the Tea Party?
- Best Convert To Every Religion Just In Case
- What Would Happen if They Declared an Election and...
- Counterthink - Business Is Booming
- They Live - the moment of revelation
- David Icke on Journeys With Rebecca: The Moon Matr...
- The Holy Roman British Empire Never Ended
- Drone Attacks: Very Precise...
- Bob Shepherd Sees The Real Israel
- FKN Newz - F*** Earth Day
- Who's Behind Recent Psychological Attacks In Schoo...
- Bill Maher becomes a "Teabagger"
- Are you testing me, Satan?
- Pay back your bailout money with more bailout mone...
- Icelandic Ash Cloud: No-Problem, Reaction, Solutio...
- Microcosm of the Health/Safety Macrocosm
- Bombshell: Silverstein Wanted to Demolish WTC7 on ...
- The Love Police: Security vs Police
- Khe Sanh, Afghanistan: Americans Withdraw
- Crimes of the State: Waco, Oklahoma City Bombing
- More ADL Nonsense: "Violent Voices" Oppose Obamaca...
- Here's What We're Going To Do
- Huge Marijuana Smoke Cloud Over Denver
- Egyptian Religion: Precursor to Judeo-Christianity...
- Al-Qaeda Chief in Iraq: Captured, Killed, Never Ac...
- The Bosnian Pyramids
- Are you Normal? What is Normal?
- War...Has Changed
- Stephen Colbert Mentions Bilderberg Group on Air
- Digital Economy Act: This Means War
- Crucified Gods in History
- Who were the Israelites of the Bible?
- iPad Tortured To Death!
- Videogames, Metaphysics and Life
- Education System: Left Brain Prisoners
- Israel Arrests Christians and Jesus' Donkey on Pal...
- US Army 'Enhanced Interrogates' Their Own!
- I Fell Into A Burning Lake of Fire
- Atlantis: Real or Imagined?
- Gunshots Heard in Aftermath of Polish Plane Crash
- What I'm Watching: "The Irish Origins of Civilisat...
- Veteran of "Collateral Murder" company speaks out
- Good Intentions
- Alexander McQueen: Reptillians on the Runway
- Croatian Teenager Wakes Up From Coma Speaking Flue...
- All You Need to Know About Naked Body Scanners
- Grr. What's going on with my blog comments?
- David Icke: Who Controls the Web? The Spider
- Snakes On Your Plane
- Richard Dawkins Will Attempt to Arrest the Pope
- When did 'anti-government' become a bad thing?
- Joseph sounds a bit like Jesus to me...
- Big Brother
- Did the Weatherman Just Say...Military Craft Dropp...
- Chemtrails Today (European Parliament Questioned o...
- Support the Troops While Government Exploits Them
- Anarchy...But Who Will Build Roads?
- Some people are just 'awake' anyway?
- Your Eyes Emit Energy?
- Anti-War signs behind ITN reporter
- On the subject of "Sheeple"
- Oh Yippee! Get Election Fever
- Everyone's A Shill
- Quick Links Variety Show 5/Apr/10
- Unexplained Sheep Attacks Caused By UFOs?
- Haha - Chris Kemara caught out live, misses sendin...
- Can Neoconservatives Admit the Real History of Ira...
- The Hollie Greig Case
- Patients Draw Near Death Experiences
- The Battle for Newcastle
- The Town of Allopath - Cartoon
- Easter: Our Babylonian-Judaic Fertility Celebratio...
- Quick Links Variety Show 3/Apr/10
- Everything is OK in Cambridge
- "Anarchists" are often POLICE Provocateurs
- ▼ Apr 2010 (79)
- ► 2009 (555)
And You Tell Me There's No Suppressed Technology?
It's another of those 'conspiracy theories' that good citizens don't notice. Imagine the standard of living if all the secret technology was released to the public...we'd be "free and independent" as JFK said! No more poverty anywhere! Can you imagine being sick enough to withhold such technology from society just to maintain your position of control? (Bearing in mind that we don't know just how much technological capability is being withheld, because, duh, it's secret.) What did Nikola Tesla really develop?
Individual Liberty? But that's "selfish"!
No, we need to look after each other voluntarily without having a government do all that at gunpoint. Sounds absurd at first but soon you realise that the reason it sounds so is because of the very unfree nature of our current existence. Envision greater possibilities! Ok, some kind of massive wake-up would be needed before this kind of free, responsible, uncontrollable society could emerge. And that's what we are seeing day by day in the world - a massive waking up of the previously enslaved masses (including myself I must add!)