Tuesday, 8 February 2011
EU gets its evil, Genetically Modified foot in the door
Genetically modified crops will be allowed to enter the UK food chain without the need for regulatory clearance for the first time under controversial plans expected to be approved this week.
The Observer understands that the UK intends to back EU plans permitting the importing of animal feed containing traces of unauthorised GM crops in a move that has alarmed environmental groups.
Importing animal feed containing GM feed must at present be authorised by European regulators. But a vote on Tuesday in favour of the scheme put forward by the EU's standing committee on the food chain and animal health would overturn the EU's "zero tolerance" policy towards the import of unauthorised GM crops.
The move would mark a significant victory for the GM lobby, which has pushed for a relaxation of the blanket ban for years.Environmental groups claim the GM industry wants to use the presence of unauthorised organisms in animal feed as part of a wider strategy to promote its technology.
"The GM industry is pushing this proposal so it can wedge its foot firmly in the door and open up the British and European markets to food no one wants to eat," said Helen Wallace, director of GeneWatch UK, which campaigns against GM food. "Its long-term aim is to contaminate the food chain to such an extent that GM-free food will disappear."
Relaxing the EU's zero-tolerance position would greatly benefit US feed exporters. The push for Europe to drop its zero-tolerance policy began in 2009 after EU authorities found traces of GM maize in soy shipments from the US and refused to allow its entry. Such recalls are expensive and those affected are unlikely to receive compensation.
GM supporters warn that the current zero-tolerance policy could result in a dramatic shortage of feed for livestock. But critics dismiss the claims as scaremongering and say there is no evidence to back up them up.
"This is a solution without a problem, and the price could be very high indeed when unknown genetically modified organisms are let loose in the food chain," said Eve Mitchell, food policy adviser at Food and Water Europe, a campaign group.
"Rather than ignoring EU food safety laws to help the US soy industry cut costs, we should simply buy the stuff from countries that segregate their GM properly. If it hasn't been tested, why eat it?"
Many of the GM crops, notably soy and maize, that have been found in animal feed imported into Europe are resistant to multiple herbicides. Critics blame these new GM crops for the recent rise of "super weeds" across vast tracts of the US farm belt.
Friends of the Earth Europe said it had obtained expert legal advice questioning the legality of the EU's plan. But European regulators believe that allowing the import of animal feed containing no more than 0.1% of GM traces does not jeopardise food security.
Yeah, start small. Old trick. Remember when all you had to do at the airport was go through a metal detector? Or, when the EU was just a 'common market'?
- Links 28/Feb/11
- Dear Unremoved Tumour, Please Don't Grow Back. I t...
- Unions and Cuts and Kookie Cutters
- Iraqi Heroes - They're Organised, Too
- Conspiracy Ego Fest
- Links 25/Feb/11
- How To Stop Sleep Paralysis
- Does Cameron Know The Difference Between Kuwait An...
- Fake Silver Bars/Coins in the US, made in China
- Greek Civil Disobedience: "I Won't Pay" Movement
- Teacher Knifed by Islamist Nutjobs, Peace Be Upon ...
- The Philosophy of Liberty: Property
- David Icke and Jeff Rense - The Big Picture
- Who Said Zionists Benefit From Anti Semitism?
- Why Nobody Trusts the Manistream Media
- Charlie, Fake Prince of Wales, Fake Environmentali...
- Nuremburg Excuse
- Dump the Debt
- The Right To Discriminate - Do You See Now, Gays?
- Chinese 'Jasmine' revolution?
- Step Away From The Console
- FKN Newz - Happy Revolution, Baby!
- Ancient Britons Were Cannibals, Too
- Harry Browne - Why You Are A Libertarian
- This is why you need gun rights
- 2000+ Nuclear Explosions 1945-1998: Time Lapse Vid...
- Best Wishes to Katherine Albrecht
- West Builds Islam to Create a New War?
- Opposing International Welfare Is Anti Semitic
- Raw Milk Information
- Saw this and thought of that
- Fox News Caught Using Dirty Tricks Against Ron Pau...
- The Orwellian-Russelian "Court of Protection" ster...
- The Takedown of Hosni Mubarak
- Katherine Albrecht - Biological Gender Differences...
- Christian Persecution - Is Someone Spinning You A ...
- I Have A Conscience. White Nationalism Is Wrong.
- Change The Crown Can Believe In
- Swiss say 'no' to gun control
- Women rightly protest Berlusconi's misogyny
- Pastor Manning asks, What's Wrong With White Folks...
- maybe it's time to
- Uh oh...Major Greek White Nationalist March
- Cashless Centralist Economies Have All Failed
- Aaron Hawkins and MistrBrit - criticism of Zeitgei...
- Separation of Church and State is a Good Thing - H...
- Students say "F*** the Illuminati"
- Tell Me What's Great About Grate Britain
- The Return of Rickets (due to lack of sun exposure...
- Ron Paul's speech at CPAC 2011: The Brushfires of ...
- Nukes Found in San Diego Port?
- falling asleep circa 2009
- Cuts for UK Middle Class. Not for wars, corporatio...
- Do Western Authorities Care More About Hamsters Th...
- falling asleep circa 2006
- Mubarak steps down, hands power to Egypt Military
- How to recognise a Satanist?
- Sick, Misandrist, Anti Human Video
- Ron Paul's Consistency - CSPAN 1990
- falling asleep circa 2008
- Links 10/Feb/11
- Ron Paul - Fed update, Egypt crisis
- Cameron Wastes No Opportunity To Demonise 9/11 Tru...
- UK Sheeple Investing Recommendations
- Christian Zionists, again.
- SuperGran Gives Armed Robbers a Beating
- NZ Fluoridation - hanging on by the skin of its te...
- EU gets its evil, Genetically Modified foot in the...
- David Icke on the Isle of Wight - the macrocosm
- Model crucified by media for calling sunscreen "po...
- EDL Rabbi Provocateur Makes Freudian Slip
- Links 7/Feb/11
- Louis Theroux - The Ultra-Zionists
- Why do we pay more for certain products than other...
- Minority Report: Companies Push For Ubiquitous Iri...
- Dutch Jews want a fast punishment for Anti Semitis...
- The Internet Should Not Be Anonymous?
- How Apple and Google will kill the password
- Yvonne Ridley says don't worry Egypt, MI6/London s...
- Webster Tarpley: US-UK Destabilization Rampage Tar...
- Links 1/Feb/11
- ▼ Feb 2011 (81)
- ► 2010 (647)
- ► 2009 (555)
And You Tell Me There's No Suppressed Technology?
It's another of those 'conspiracy theories' that good citizens don't notice. Imagine the standard of living if all the secret technology was released to the public...we'd be "free and independent" as JFK said! No more poverty anywhere! Can you imagine being sick enough to withhold such technology from society just to maintain your position of control? (Bearing in mind that we don't know just how much technological capability is being withheld, because, duh, it's secret.) What did Nikola Tesla really develop?
Individual Liberty? But that's "selfish"!
No, we need to look after each other voluntarily without having a government do all that at gunpoint. Sounds absurd at first but soon you realise that the reason it sounds so is because of the very unfree nature of our current existence. Envision greater possibilities! Ok, some kind of massive wake-up would be needed before this kind of free, responsible, uncontrollable society could emerge. And that's what we are seeing day by day in the world - a massive waking up of the previously enslaved masses (including myself I must add!)